Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Yielop or Stield??

People are changing rules all the time. And I am not talking about little rules, I mean big rules that effect the entire population. I don't know if it's true or not ( I could Wiki it, but I don't have the time) but I remember someone talking about changing where you put commas.

I was taught to put comma before the word 'and' in a group.

Tom, Dick, and Harry went over yonder to the crick.

What I think I remember someone talking about is that they now eliminate that comma.

Tom, Dick and Harry went over yonder to the crick.

If you are going to change something as big as that, you should send a letter to all parties involved and let them know. (i.e. Dear World.....in efforts to save the planet and become more green, we are reducing the amount of ink and toner used by reducing the commas that you use.....)

Another rule change I heard about was changing the way school children are doing long division. Growing up we would always write the number and then draw that sideways L over the big number and divide. I hear there is some new ladder method now. If my kids came home with homework, I would not know the first thing about the Ladder method....did anyone write a letter and inform us they were changing? Maybe mine got lost in the move?

I have decided that they need to change rules and invent a new traffic sign. A cross between a Yield and a Stop is needed. (Hence the title of the post). There are a few...not many...places where you don't really need to come to a complete stop, but if you put a yield sign there, too many people would be going too fast and cause an accident. I have one such situation on my way to work EVERY day. There is a stop sign right before some railroad tracks. No one ever stops there.....they just slow down and look as they are approaching and then continue on. Like a California stop. Now....if you put a yield sign there, people would be going too fast to stop before a train hit them, so a Yielop sign is needed. I have no idea how you would monitor if some one Yielped or Yielded...I leave that to the Police. I am just an idea person...and there is my idea.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I hate to break it to you Janice, but they've totally changed how they teach math. I finally came to a point where I had to find the answer the "old-fashioned" way and tell Cassidy to try his way to come up with the same answer.