I used to be upset when I got a 'Ma'am' at the grocery store in IL. Down here, you hear Ma'am all the time. I have learned it has different meanings.
1. 'Yes Ma'am' - an affirmative answer to a question or a request.
'Will you stay here and make fan panels while I show them how to install the motor mounts?'
'Yes Ma'am'
2. 'Ma'am?' - A polite way to say 'What?'
'Bill, hand me the Solenoid Harness and strain relief'
'Ma'am?'
'That black wire and plastic c-clamp thing'
'Oh, Yes Ma'am'
Sir can be used in the same way. I seem to get a lot more of 2. than 1. Maybe its my accent or that I talk to fast.
Next lesson will be on the work 'Reckin'
1 comment:
Have you heard "fixin'"? As in, I'm getting ready to....
"I'm fixin to go to the store and buy milk"
That one makes me laugh. Y
es, I do hear Ma'am all the time as well.
Post a Comment