Tuesday, September 23, 2008

lovebugs

The topic discussed below is for Mature audiences only....



The newest thing that I have discovered in Georgia are these things called love bugs. I looked them up on Wiki to figure out if everything that people were telling me was correct. Children beware - mature topic below (Bet you never thought you would see a parental advisory on my site!!)

It is also known as the honeymoon bug, telephone bug, and two headed bug.






Now the honeymoon I understand....but the telephone bug? Last time i looked that was not how you used the telephone? And my guess is that some Dad told his daughter it was a two headed but when she asked them what the bug was one day while alone in the car.


These bugs fly around for two weeks during the year and are so acidic that the squashed ones on front of your car will eat away at the paint. So you need to wash your car often to protect it. (Good thing I have a rental!)


Here are some other interesting facts from Wiki....These bugs spend the ' entirety of its life copulating with its mate. ' Hmm......


'In fact, after mating, the male dies and is dragged around by the female until she lays her eggs.' (oh boy let the comments come about that one!).
I'll try to keep it cleaner on my next posts...sorry to my younger fans.



2 comments:

Michelle Shorter said...

Those things are everywhere here also!! I heard from a few different people that they were created by the Univ. of Florida to eat mosquitos but it didn't work and all they do is mate like crazy. I don't know if that is true or not but either way they are annoying!

Lisa said...

I heard the same thing when I lived in Florida. I was also just telling Andy about these bugs the other day! Oh how I don't miss the south and their random bugs.