I spent another week in Tifton doing some training. The more time I spend here I realize things are a bit different. A friend of a friend of mine recently left the Midwest and headed south and she has been sharing her findings on things that are different. Here is what I have found so far.
The ‘S’ is not Silent- The pronunciation of my second home state is a bit different down here. I have come to find that I am from IllinoiSSSSS. I don’t know if I should correct people or not? Is it rude to say ‘The S is silent’? It makes me wonder if I pronounce some other state wrong when I sing 50 nifty.
Cell-a-Phonie – The contraption that my kids use to call me. Yes….I actually heard someone this week tell me that her kids all have a cell-a-phonie, but she does not like them. They bought her a cell-a-phonie to use, but if it weren’t for the kids, she would hot have a cell-a-phonie.
Trucks with Raw Lumber (read raw = tree trunks). I know that lumber has to come from somewhere, but by the time we see it in the Midwest it is already harvested and planed down and in the form of 2x4s. In Georgia you see trucks full of freshly cut Pine tree trunks rolling down the road on flatbeds.
Four guys in a pick up truck. Now this may not seem odd to you, but let me fill in the details. I was driving up interstate 75 today going about 72 mph and I notice a two door black pick up truck in front of me. There is a yellow strap flapping off the passenger side view mirror. There are also three guys sitting in the cab. Two facing forward and the third guy is jammed in the back facing sideways…looks really uncomfortable. I think. “man that’s pretty tight with the three of them’. I am examining the yellow strap and fingered out it was a headband/sweatband. They must have been airing it out. Then out of the blue I see an arm lift up out of the back and a guy pull himself up so he is leaning against the cab looking at me, and he is smoking!!! He sits there for a bit, finished the cigarette, and then lays back down. Interesting…
I am sure to add more of my findings from the South.
P.S. An update from an earlier post….Turns out they were changing the whole sign to digital…no one else wants that job either J
1 comment:
I've noticed people riding in the back of pick-up trucks also! It seems dangerous to me, but they seem to enjoy it. I have also noticed that the kids in my neighborhood run around without shoes on. It's all the kids and all the time. I think my feet would get hot or I would step in a fire ant hill (fire ants=my #1 least favorite thing about the south).
Post a Comment