Sunday, August 31, 2008

Huricane - Again

As I was walking through the airport I came across a large group of people sitting around a few benches with bags all around. They were all in blue shirts and had on ID badges. I read one of the back of the shirts and it said ‘Emergency medical/Rescue squad Seattle’. I am guessing they are down here getting ready for the Hurricane. That’s amazing they came all the way from Seattle to help out.

Being in the Midwest we don’t have hurricanes. We do have tornados, but you don’t have 4 days of warning/worry that they are coming. When a tornado hits, you hide in your house, and you can see the damage immediately. It is tragic experience, but I think a Hurricane is so much worse. They are evacuating Louisiana. Stop and think about that. What if you were told that tomorrow you need to pack up your family and go somewhere that is 4-6 hours away? What if all your family lived right there with you? Where do you go? Who do you call to see if you can stay with them? What do you take with you? What is it going to be like when you come back? I think it is especially hard for Louisiana residents who have come back after Katrina and are trying to rebuild. The last thing they want to do is leave again…last time they left, so many people did not return and the towns were desolate….What’s going to happen after this one? I cannot imagine and my thoughts and prayers go out to these families and the volunteers and people who are going to be providing services.

No comments: