Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ms. Fix It

Lets play a game.

Can you guess what this is a picture of?


(No, not the paperclip....the thing next to it. )

I'll give you 3 guesses

a.) part of my sneaker that fell off

b.) a moon rock from Mars

c.) the reason that for the last 3.5 years I have had sucky hot water pressure at my kitchen sink and have hated washing my dishes with a wimpy stream of sorta hot water coming out of the faucet!

I am guessing you already figured by my tone that the answer is c.

Here is how I found my mystery piece of plastic. We had our home inspection done and the first 3 of the 4 items turned out to be easy fixes. They were the following:

1. Replace missing screen around chimney - how often does one go up on the roof and notice that there is a 6 inch hole on one side of the screen? Not very often, but Bob and I will be up there this weekend securing some chicken wire around that hole.


2. Electrical outlets in dinning room are reverse polarity - Hmmm..that's odd....found out this is not really a big deal unless you are plugging in a surge protector and super complex electrical items. Thanks to that great WWW we confirmed it was just a mater of switching some wires. Black goes to copper and Red goes to silver on the outlet....too bad all our wires are black...that will just take a bit more time.


3. Low hot water pressure in kitchen sink , so low that the sprayer would not turn on. - This is something that I have learned to live with. We redid the kitchen 3.5 years ago (I'll post those pictures next) and ever since, the flow of hot water sucked from that faucet. I remember the first month I hated the fact that my soap would not suds because the stream of hot water would not create any bubbles. I just learned to live with it. It was a brand new faucet so we thought it was some big piping thing and would cost lots of money to fix. Today it took me one alan wrench, a pair of robogrips, and 3 minuets to fix it. 3 FREAKING MINUTES AND I DEALT WITH THIS FOR 3.5 YEARS!! Come on! We are Mr. and Mrs. home improvement why on earth did we not think of this before now! We've laid tiled floors, grouted showers, laid wood floors,seated toilets and even sweated some of the main copper pluming in our guest bathroom. And we didn't think to take the facet apart and see if something was blocking it? Okay, i am over it, thanks for listening.


4. Electrical box in lower level needs to be flush mounted to the wall. - This is the one that might prove difficult. We used to have a bar downstairs and removed it. There is an electrical box coming out of the floor by the wall that used to be inside the bar cabinet. We are hoping they will let us drop it down into the crawl space and secure it there. Otherwise we are going to have to cut a hole in the paneled/plastered wall, re route the wire through a different spot on the floor and probably call a profe$$ional to do it. We are waiting on the call back to just drop the box.


I just got done washing dishes....I had hot water pressure...life is good.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hey overall that's not bad for a house inspection!! I had to pay my buyer's not to have one ;)

Cracks me up about the faucet - but at least you get to use it for a little while!