Tuesday, July 8, 2008

$1000 jeans

I read an article at work today on MSN. High end jeans are a big industry and one of the few that are doing well right now. Here were some of the stats

Jeans costing over $75 increased 24% this quarter while
Jeans costing under$75 only increased 2% this quarter

The article stated that $200 for jeans was a sale price. Dolce and Gabbana sell jeans for $3,950 and there are some jeans that are bedazzled with Swarovski crystals that cost $10,000. If you ask me, be-dazzled is be-dazzled, if it was done at home in someones basement, or with 'SWAROVSKI' crystals.... they are all going to fall off once you sit down and slide across the chair your sitting on, or when you 'skooch' into your limo you are going to scratch the leather.

I look down at the jeans I am wearing at work trying to think how much I paid for them (Yes, we get to wear jeans to work everyday...about 2 months ago, to help with moral they sent out a flyer saying we could wear comfortable clothes to work everyday until the plant closes) They are actually the last pair I bought and I was with the girls on a shopping trip somewhere a few years ago. They were on the clearance rack at GAP and I think i paid around $20 for them. Is that sad that the last pair of jeans I bought was at least 3 years ago?

I also only own 4 purses and about 16 pairs of shoes (4 of them are tennis shoes- which by the way, I don't play tennis with, but that is what we call them.....sorry...that's a whole different post). And I have had the same purse for the past 3 years. I don't change it out each season ...GASP!
I guess I am just frugal and out of style. (And hopefully I can retire at age 55 because of it)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Just wait - if you have kids, they'll "reinvent" you -- that's what we did with my mom, anyway. And I can't justify paying more than $40 for a pair of jeans either. However, I do own 20+ pairs of shoes. 4 are "tennis" shoes.

Anonymous said...

you can also take care of your parents:)