Sunday, July 13, 2008

forgetfull me

Bob and I were getting ready for another garage sale last week and he was cleaning out our 'junk drawer' that is in the kitchen. I don't like to leave him alone to 'sort' because he throws things out that we need. (Or at least, I think we need) Well, I walk downstairs mid-sort and look in the trash can and see a small bottle of touch up paint for my car. Without thinking I blurt out.....'I paid $35 bucks for this thing...you can't throw it out!". Bob's response was to look at me in silence....I look back at him waiting for a response and then it hits me. Two months ago we bought a new car...(Well, new to me, it was used) My new car is champagne color and the tube I am holding in my hand is for the red car I traded in. OOPS. I smile and say never mind and he just shakes his head and keeps sorting.......It's amazing how much he can say without saying anything at all.

Today we left church and were walking to our car. (We drove his Jeep). He just couldn't resist putting in a jab and commented, "he maybe you should give your touch up paint to her". I look up and notice a red Camry parked right next to us with a lady sitting in it. I smile at him (well not a real smile, one of those, 'very funny ha ha' smiles) and laugh and then look closer...the car has the same body style as mine was...it has the same worn paint pattern on the side view mirror as mine had.....it has the same scratches by the key and handle as mine did!!! HOLY COW THAT IS MY CAR!!!! I tried really hard not to stare because the lady was sitting in the car waiting for us to get in so she could open her door, but IT WAS MY CAR!! What a small world! I saw my car today :) after having it for 9 years, I kinda grew attached and didn't realize until I saw it again.

I think I need to start naming my cars so that when I see them again owned by someone else I can tell the story with a name instead of 'my car' or 'it'.

4 comments:

charrel said...

Janice,
My Subaru is still driving around town too. It makes me a little sad too because you do have so many memories in your cars. What did you get?

Kevin said...

one thing is true, you'll never forget the TURD!!!

all those memories of crankin out the Gangastaz Paradise on the way to school!

who knew you where breading me for the life of Compton out here in California.

Thanks Sis!

Janice said...

Charrel,
I traded my 99 red camry w/180,000 miles for a 2003 champaign camry with only 45,000 miles.

Kevin, Glad I could help mold you to fit into compton...Remeber 'Thugish Rugish Bone?'...I got that tape from Mike Vincent.

mikey v said...

a car with a stereo like that needs rap to survive, like water or air to breathe. i was only thinking of the car. when i think of the turd i think of you jamming to tlc waterfalls. over and over again. good times.