Last night was a sad night in our household.......we lost our oldest fish, 24601. (or as Kevin called him - 90210) By lost I don't mean he jumped out and hid...I mean he is dead, as Bob says D E A D....dead.
Let me explain the name thing......I got Bob a tank before we were married and we bought about seven different fish to put in the tank. He was not allowed to name them until they lived at least two weeks. He never named them, so I took it upon myself to come up with names that would be easy for me to remember. For instance:
Strawberry Loach = I named him 'patch' for strawberry patch
Sucker fish (to get the algee off the tank floor) = 'Hoover' (like a vacuum)
Puffer fish (Big round fish with little fins) = 'Goodyear' (he looked like a blimp)
8 striped something fish = 24601 (for you Les Mis fans that was the song of John Valdon (Sp?). 24601 was his prison number and our fish looked like a prisoner)
Those of you who have been to our house know how big this stupid fish was and that he was the only one left in our tank because he ate every other fish we tried to buy. He survived two different tank moves and grew about 3 inches larger than he was supposed to. About a year ago we gave up buying new fish for our tank, because we would come home and they would be floating at the top with tell tales signs that they had been nibbled on.
In a way, It's good that he is gone because I had no idea what we were going to do with him, I was not going to take him with us to Georgia. I can imagin myself in the airport with a ziplock bag and a fish trying to get through security. We didn't want to give him away to friends because he would eat all their other fish.
He also picked a good time to kick the bucket. He was too big to get with our fish net, so Bob had to use a stick to get him to float at the top and grabbed him with a plastic bag. He is also too big to flush, so luckily today was trash day, so he did not have to sit in our trash and smell up the garage.
RIP 24601
6 comments:
FYI: it's "Jean Valjean"
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYCPHHPXTmk
Janice, I feel like I know poor 24601 after reading your blog. Such a sweet tale! We are all here for you if you need a shoulder to cry on...
He was my favorite
Thank you Mike for the Sp and the video.....A great tribute to our fish...
Janice,
You have our sympathy!! :(
man i'm glad i made my last visit to pay my respects, before flying back home to cali!!! well miss ya
Post a Comment