Thursday, May 21, 2009

Wet or Dry?

I have been here in GA for 8 months and had my hair cut twice. Now the first time this happend I thought it was a bit odd....but a second time....maybe it's a southern thing???

I made an apointment, walked in on the day of the appointment and was asked, do you want a wash and cut, or just cut? That's odd, I think.....I'd like it washed of course. I proceed to the wash station and she washes my hair, but it felt like it was the first time she had ever washed a persons hair...it was very akward. I then got my hair cut and that was that. My hair was shorter than when I came in, so mission accomplished, I'd just try somewhere else next time.

This leads me to two weeks ago. I made another appointment at a different salon for a trim. (It had been 6 months, so I figured I was due). I show up after work one day (mind you, when I am at work, I wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time becuase it's hot on the plant floor and I am moving all over the place and don't really have time to worry about how my hair looks.) So...I show up, sit down in her chair, pull my hair out of the ponytail to have the 'consultation talk' about what I want done. I am assuming that next we'll walk over to the shampoo station that I can see in the other room. My hair obviosuly needs it because I have the ponytail line wraped around my entire head. No....she grabs her sissors and comb and starts cutting....DRY.....with the pony tail line and everything.

I guess I am being Green. No water or chemicals to wash the hair, and no energy from the hairdryer to dry it. Im not sure if I am ready to go that green yet.

So....I have asked around for a very specific type of hair salon, one that washes your hair, and will try them out in about 6 months when its time for another trim.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, I think that's weird, too! Maybe it's just Georgia people? That didn't happen to me living in Florida, so I don't think it's a southern thing.

Anonymous said...

Janis - I've lived in Tifton for 25 years and I've never had happen! I have had them ask me if I want it rinsed or washed. I always get it washed cause it just feels good. I have even asked if they could come to my house EVERY morning...no takers yet! I finally started about 7 years ago going to a friend at "In a Tangle", but she is only there Tues thru Friday 10 - 5 (we should have gone to beauty school!) When my hair was long she was the only one who could cut it straight. And she was the one brave enough to guide me thru the turning gray highway.
Good Luck next time!!
BettieSue

Amy said...

I can't believe she didn't even offrer to wash it. The only time I've ever been asked that is when I've taken the kids to get their hair cut. And even if they didn't wash it, they at least sprayed it down and cut it wet. I have never heard of anyone cutting hair dry.

You just better move back up north to be safe. ;-)

Michelle Shorter said...

I wasn't able to find a normal hair place when I lived in the south either. Although I don't think they ever cut my hair dry. Be careful if you want your subtle highlight touched up, I ended up looking like I had tiger stripes..