Thursday, May 7, 2009

Things I don't understand

1. Valet keys

2.Plastic Packaging Clam Shells

You know what I am talking about...you buy a curling iron or a new wii remote charger. It comes in this neat plastic case that hangs on the display case in the store. It's a neat little package that keeps all your new treasures nice and secure inside with pretty packaging that points out all the neat features. But when you get it home and all you want to do is open it up...that's when you start cursing at the guy who invented them. Sure they look neat in the store, but are you kidding me? They are impossible to open.

You can not 'safely' use a knife to try and open it. You'll start with that, trying to pry open the ends of it and just get a little bit open thinking you can pull it the rest of the way. I think,this clam shell case is no match for my miracle blade knifes...but I already cut my thumb on a cupcake wrapper this week, so I decided I don't want to risk the rest of my finger with the knife.

I decide that the scissors would be safer. But the edge of these things are bent with 2 90 degree angles that are just big enough to make it almost impossible to cut along the edge. You try to cut a small 'snip' in the package and then figure you can pull and/or tear it open....think again....Now you have to try to cut across the package without the now jagged edge scraping against your hands as you try to cut farther. You have given up trying to salvage the pretty picture or instructions that are written on the inside of the package and have now resorted to a fast paced

snip
pull
pull harder
snip more
cut off the part that is scraping you
pull more you can almost pull the charger out the hole...keep pulling
cut more because you can't get the base part out..
give up on the fact that you are going to have to cut the entire thing out, thus dulling your scissors and demolishing any of the paperwork inside

Finally, you put the scissors down and you have the wii remote charger in hand...Who's idea was it to put this in plastic again??? And why can't they be like the strawberry holders or lunch meat? Those are much easier to open....

Now don't get me started on that sticker that runs across the CD holders.....

3 comments:

mikey v said...

CD cases are easy, unhook the cover from its little hinge pegs and start peeling away...

Amy said...

I learned this at the AT&T store. Use a box cutter. Extend the blade just a little bit and simply cut open along the raised edge of the plastic that is holding your treasure!

BTW, I bet an engineer is responsible . . .

Kerri said...

You know the people packing this stuff are laughing their butts off at the idea of us struggling to open them.