Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cheerios and Flys

Those of you who have been long time readers, remember a few of my older posts about the urinal at Wrigley field that is just a long slit in the ground, and my picture of the very sleek looking sinks at the Jacksonville Airport. Well, a friend recently showed me this and I had to share!


This is a picture from the men's room in the Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam.



Here is what it says in case the writing is too small:
In Amsterdam the tile under the Shciphol urinals would pass inspection in an operating room, but no one notices. What everyone does notice is that every urinal has a fly in it.

Look harder and that fly turns into an etched outline in the porcelain. It improves aim. If a man sees a fly, he aims for it. Fly-in-Urinal research found that the etching reduces spillage by 80%. It gives the guy something to think about. The perfect example of Process Control.



How clever! I have heard of using cheerios to teach young boys to aim when potty training. I didn't realize they had the same thing for grown men. Clever idea Amsterdam! Now someone needs to make a business plan and offer this service to households. Porcelain etching - you choose the design, we'll etch it on your toilet. I wonder if that would reduce spillage by 80% at home???

No comments: